Presented at the Geneva Motor Show in March 41 years ago, it became an icon of compact German coupés. The car caught the spirit of the age: over a million units of the Scirocco have been produced since then. Last summer a comprehensively refined generation of the sports car was launched, featuring, among other things, a completely new range of engines. Building on this, Volkswagen unveils the new Scirocco GTS – a sports car with 162 kW / 220 PS – in a world premiere at Auto Shanghai. Its engine is one of the most popular in the Scirocco range because it is sharing its design genes with the engine of the Golf GTI. A turbocharged direct-injection petrol engine that is recognised as being one of the most agile four-cylinder engines in the world. It catapults the Scirocco GTS – either with a manual gearbox or with the 6-speed DSG – to 100 km/h in just 6.5 seconds. Top speed: 246 km/h (DSG: 244 km/h). The average fuel consumption shows just how efficient the engine of the Scirocco is: just 6.1 l/100 km with a manual gearbox and similarly economical at 6.4 l/100 km with a DSG gearbox.
New 18-inch wheels. The Scirocco GTS will be equipped as standard with new 18-inch “Norwich” alloy wheels; the popular 19- inch “Lugano” alloy wheels will be available as an option. The red brake callipers of the GTS can be seen through the spokes of both of these wheel options. In addition, the Scirocco GTS comes with the R-Line package "Exterieur" as standard, which includes distinctive R-style bumpers (at the front with integrated fog lamps and glossy black radiator and air inlet grilles), custom side sill extensions, a roof spoiler (also R-style) and a diffuser. The wing mirror caps are painted in stylish black and, just like its predecessor, the '82 Scirocco GTS, the new model can be ordered with a sporty GTS decal for the body as an option (standard in China). This option features two decorative red stripes that run centrally from the bonnet over the roof and the boot (if the car is painted in “Flash Red” the stripes are black). The new Scirocco is also enhanced by 3D GTS logos in the radiator grille and on the tailgate. The Scirocco GTS can be ordered in six colours: "Deep Black", "Indium Grey", "Urano Grey", "Pure White", "Oryx White" and, as already mentioned, "Flash Red".
Black and red. The interior of the Scirocco GTS is also customised, of course, and dominated by the sporty colours black and red. The customisation includes:
- Black headliner
- Decorative inlays in "Piano Black Lacquer " in the centre console and the applications on the dashboard
- GTS badges on the sill panel mouldings
- Customised sports steering wheel with red seams and the lower spoke finished in "Black Piano Lacquer" (with the GTS logo)
- Pedals in stainless steel
- Seat covers with centre panels made of a new material (with the GTS logo at the top of the backrest) and red decorative stitching
- GTS package also includes the legendary golf ball gear knob
- Chrome trim package (for the wing mirror and electric window switches)
- Air vents and inside door handles in "Black Piano Lacquer"
- Contrasting red seams for the safety belts, the handbrake lever, the gear lever gaiter, the central armrest and the floor mats