Andrew Jordan was fastest by over four tenths of a second from Team mate Jeff Smith. Smith made perhaps the save of the session on one lap when he lost it going into club. The car turned round so much it was very nearly pointing back down the hill but Smith floored the throttle and somehow pulled the car back round to continue.
Matt Neal broke down early on in the session in his Honda Yuasa Racing Civic with what appeared to be an electrical issue but was recovered to the pits and later returned to take third. Adam Morgan continued his excellent 2013 form with fourth place in the Cicely racing Avensis. Jason Plato was behind him in fifth, only 1 thousandth of a second slower in his MG6.
Another excellent result came for Tom Onslow-Cole in sixth despite a mid session off at club where he very nearly spun into the wall but a combination of his quick reactions and his car’s excellent brakes saw him stop just short. Behind his was Jason Plato’s MG KX Momentum team mate Sam Tordoff took seventh just under a second off the fastest time. Colin Turkington and Rob Collard were eighth and ninth in their eBay Motors BMW 1 series just over a second off. Dave Newsham took the final top ten spot in his Speedworks Toyota Avensis.
In the Jack Sears trophy Liam Griffin set the pace ahead of not only the Jack Sears trophy runners but also the two struggling Audi A4’s of Rob Austin and Will Bratt. Second of the the jack Sears cars was James Kaye with Lea Wood taking third in class for this session.
Qualifying is looking very unpredictable with several teams and drivers in with a shot at taking pole.
2013 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship – Thruxton – Free Practice 2
1. Andrew Jordan (Pirtek Racing): +0.0
2. Jeff Smith (Pirtek Racing): +0.430
3. Matt Neal (Honda Yuasa Racing): +0.696
4. Adam Morgan (Ciceley Racing): +0.720
5. Jason Plato (MG KX Momentum Racing): +0.721
6. Tom Onslow-Cole (PPCGB / Kraftwerk Racing): +0.903
7. Sam Tordoff (MG KX Momentum Racing): +0.959
8. Colin Turkington (eBay Motors): +1.070
9. Rob Collard (eBay Motors): +1.115
10. Dave Newsham (Speedworks Motorsport): +1.123
11. Frank Wrathall (Dynojet): +1.268
12. Mat Jackson (Airwaves Racing): +1.391
13. Gordon Shedden (Honda Yuasa Racing): +1.480
14. Aron Smith (Airwaves Racing): +1.623
15. Ollie Jackson (Speedworks Motorsport): +1.793
16. Jack Goff (RCIB Insurance Racing): +2.446
17. James Cole (RCIB Insurance Racing): +2.575
18. Nick Foster (eBay Motors): +2.696
19. Liam Griffin (Addison Lee Motorbase): +2.763
20. Rob Austin (WIX Racing): +2.938
21. James Kaye (AmDTuning.com): +3.526
22. Lea Wood (Wheel Heaven / Houseman Racing): +3.642
23. Will Bratt (WIX Racing): +3.702
24. Warren Scott (Team BMR Restart): +4.314
25. Joe Girling (M247 Racing with Tech-Speed Motorsport): +4.898
26. David Nye (Welch Motorsport with Sopp + Sopp): +8.705 By Marc Waller