The second Free Practice session for the 2022 TotalEnergies 6 Hours of Spa Francorchamps saw Team Penske top their first ever WEC session. Felipe Nasr’s lap ensured that the American team lead the 36-car field in the 90-miunute session held in dry, sunny and cool conditions.
Porsche GT Team again led LMGTE Pro with the No.92 Porsche 911 RSR-19, No.46 Project 1 Porsche maintained their top spot in LMGTE Am, while Glickenhaus Racing did likewise in the Hypercar category and was also P2 overall.
The session was red flagged six minutes from end due to debris on track and the top eight positions in the session were covered by a mere 0.9s.
- Glickenhaus was again second fastest in the session and fastest of the Hypercars positions but this time it was Olivier Pla at the wheel of the No.708 American entered entry. Pla set a best lap of 2m04.464s.
- The No.8 Toyota was second with Brendon Hartley setting a lap time of 2m04.692s just 0.2s off Pla’s best.
- The sister Toyota GR010 Hybrid Hypercar was third with Jose-Maria Lopez setting a best lap of 2m05128s.
- The Alpine ELF Team entered Alpine A480-Gibson driven by Andre Negrao was fourth.
- The Porsche GT Team was once again fastest in class but unlike in FP1 it was Michael Christensen setting the time in the No.92 Porsche 919 RSR-19 with a 2m14.366s lap.
- AF Corse Ferrari were second and third in the session with the No.51 car ahead of No.52
- James Calado and Antonio Fuoco set the times respectively for the Prancing Horse
- No.91 Porsche places fourth as Richard Lietz sets best time in session
- Corvette Racing fifth as Tommy Milner continues to master Spa track on his first visit. American gets to within 0.1s of Lietz’s time
- Nasr’s headline grabbing lap leads the LMP2 class.
- United Autosports USA were second in the No.23 entry of Oliver Jarvis, Alex Lynn and Joshua Pierson.
- Jarvis set a fastest lap with a 2m04.821s lap.
- Prema Orlen Team place was a close third as Louis Deletraz set a 2m05.020s best.
- JOTA is fifth and sixth with No.38 heading No.28 car.
- Matteo Cairoli continues to be the clear pace setter in the LMGTE Am category as the Italian set a lap of 2m15.604s and is again only driver in the class to get in to the 2m15’s bracket in No.46 Team Project 1 Porsche he shares with Nicolas Leutwiler and Mikkel Pedersen.
- No.77 Dempsey Proton were second as Sebastien Priaulx continues to impress in his first WEC season. The Guernsey born driver set a 2m16.240s lap.
- Iron Lynx makes sure a Porsche 1-2-3 is thwarted as veteran Giancarlo Fisichella set a 2m16.260s lap.
- There was one full course yellow during the session as a result of Simon Mann spinning his No.21 AF Corse in to gravel trap but he was quickly recovered and re-joined the session.