James Ellison claimed pole position for the second round of the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship at Brands Hatch this afternoon as the McAMS Yamaha rider obliterated the lap record, holding off Luke Mossey by 0.203s with Leon Haslam completing the front row.
An incredibly close final session of qualifying started with Leon Haslam coming straight out on track first; the JG Speedfit Kawasaki rider setting the first 44 second lap of the weekend to set the benchmark for his rivals.
Luke Mossey had been the fastest rider on circuit this morning and the JG Speedfit Kawasaki rider then posted his best lap of the weekend; pushing Haslam back into second, but as he crossed the line Ellison was a on a flier and he grabbed the top position.
Shane ‘Shakey’ Byrne was pushing to put himself on the front row; however despite his best attempts he will head the second row, just 0.097s adrift off Haslam’s time. He will be joined by fellow Ducati rider John Hopkins; the American still overcoming his broken toes from Donington Park to set the fifth fastest time.
Jason O’Halloran fired the Honda Racing Fireblade into the top six as he pushed Christian Iddon back onto row three ahead of Josh Brookes and Michael Laverty.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch, Datatag Qualifying:
1. James Ellison (McAMS Yamaha) 44.728s
2. Luke Mossey (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.203s
3. Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) +0.205s
4. Shane Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.302s
5. John Hopkins (Moto Rapido Ducati) +0.316s
6. Jason O’Halloran (Honda Racing) +0.392s
7. Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +0.454s
8. Josh Brookes (Anvil Hire TAG Yamaha) +0.656s
9. Michael Laverty (McAMS Yamaha) +0.755s