The 20-year old Spaniard took the title at his home GP, with the Championship being decided right down to the wire at the final round of the MotoGP season in Valencia. Even though the race was eventually won by Marquez only title rival Jorge Lorenzo could have taken the title but Lorenzo could not stop the composed Marquez but still won the race by a significant margin. Marquez settled for third place with Team-mate Dani Pedrosa stuck in the middle in second.
Taking fourth was Yamaha’s Valentino Rossi. Go&Fun Honda Gresini’s Alvaro Bautista, LCR Honda’s Stefan Bradl and Monster Yamaha’s Bradley Smith took fifth, sixth and Seventh. Ducati’s Nicky Hayden claimed eighth with team-mate Andrea Dovizioso following on. The top ten was rounded out by Michele Pirro on his Pramac machine.
1. Marc Marquez – 334 Points
2. Jorge Lorenzo – 330 Points
3. Dani Pedrosa – 300 Points
1. Pol Espargaro – 265 Points
2. Scott Redding – 225 Points
3. Esteve Rabat – 215 Points
1. Maverick Vinalez – 323 Points
2. Alex Rins – 311 Points
3. Luis Salom – 302 Points By Laura Turner